Pray for David and Laura Parajon helping meet the health needs of rural communities in Nicaragua.July 19, 2017
David and Laura Parajon Portrait
Since 2001, Drs. David and Laura Parajón have been serving remote rural communities in Nicaragua. David is an internist and Laura is a family physician, and both have training in public health. They share health, hope and healing with the impoverished and vulnerable people of Nicaragua through AMOS (A Ministry of Sharing).
The Parajóns’ medical ministry includes community-based primary health care programs through the training and support of local health promoters and health committees. … Thanks to the health promoters, there have been significant reductions in the number of deaths among children and women in their communities. David and Laura have been receiving short-term mission teams to work on preventive health projects alongside health promoters and have received long-term volunteers who serve in various capacities.
Read their complete journal at https://www.internationalministries.org/read/62166-zika-hurts-babies-most
They write - If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us. 2 Chronicles 20:9
The Good News of IM Mission Work
As your medical missionaries, we have 15 years of experience working alongside communities throughout Nicaragua establishing a network of Community Health Workers (CHW) s who are trained to improve health. In addition, we network with other local Nicaraguan doctors, nurses, and health professionals. Our teams here are already at work helping to prevent the spread of zika! Because NOW is the time to act, our teams are hard at work:
• Developing educational materials with our CHWs;
• CHWs are educating about zika and how to prevent it during home visits;
• Educating and mobilizing community members about how to eliminate mosquito breeding grounds and prevent mosquito bites;
• Developing an innovation for community engagement to reach a larger population to mosquito vector control and zika prevention;
• Fundraising so we can reach more people together.
Please Pray For Our Team
1. For all the women in the US and Latin America who are currently pregnant and have zika;
2. For strength and inspiration to continue the necessary but not so glamorous work of preventing the spread of zika;
3. To be able to raise the necessary $65,000 ($1.30 per person) to train a team of 50 Community Health Workers who will each cover 12 households, reaching a total of 50,000 people with educational materials about zika, eliminating mosquito breeding grounds, and getting access to contraception for those who desire to delay pregnancy during this epidemic Learn More.;
4. For continued development of innovations to reach the most people with the most effective prevention of zika in the least time;
5. For a computer programmer missionary to work alongside us to develop an app for the Community Health Workers to us be able to use tablets to get real-time zika and mosquito breeding ground data in order to be able to respond quickly to the epidemic.